Battery D’s Mascot. (1899?)
In May of 1898, California created the First Battalion of California Heavy Artillery, United States Volunteers in answer to President McKinley’s call for troops at the start of the Spanish-American War. The battalion consisted of four batteries, A through D. Batteries A and D were assigned to Philippine Islands Expeditionary Forces, the remaining batteries served in U.S.  
For more great photos, check out our picture collections!